At Home with The Barkers is a home decorating and DIY blog where a southern girl, along with some help from her husband and kids, feature DIY tutorials, room makeovers, furniture painting, and a little entertaining. The project goal is always to get the highest quality look with the lowest possible budget.
I’m Sonya and these are the people I LOVE!
Ray is my High School sweetheart since 1987 and married sweetheart since 1994. He is handsome, smart, handy with any tool, an engineer, has 4 sisters, AND is a super proud Clemson University Graduate!
My son is Dylan. He is handsome like is dad, marches in his high school band drum line, super funny, and filled with random knowledge.
Sarah Beth is my sweet girl! She is beautiful, runs cross country and track for her high school varsity team! She loves crafts, fashion and make up. She makes YouTube videos. I always ask her advice about clothes.
Ranger is our Irish Jack Russell and the best dog ever!
Then there’s me, Sonya. Born and raised in the upstate of South Carolina. I’m a stay at home mom since 1999 and believe it is one of my greatest blessings. I too am a Graduate of Clemson University. Sociology Major with a concentration in Criminal Justice and Minor in Psychology. Intrigued by real life crime shows like The First 48 hours and Behind bars, I like to think I’m using my degree!
I’ve always loved decorating but mostly I love making something beautiful for as little money as possible. Over the years I’ve staged homes for sale, redesigned rooms for clients, sewn window treatments, and painted many things! Together, Ray and I do most all our own projects around our home. I love photography, college football, thrift stores, yard sales, and cookies! Not the bagged cookies, I’m talking homemade, hot out of the oven a minute before the timer goes off cookies! I’ve been known to post cookies pics on Instagram and Facebook SO, follow me there and you will see what I’m talking about 🙂
We are currently living at our 7th address since marriage:
- Grandmother’s house she wasn’t living in. In exchange for free rent we fixed it up! New kitchen cabinets, painted and refinished hardwood floors. 1994
- Apartment in San Antonio, Tx when Ray joined the Air Force. Wait, did I forget to mention that? Yep, my man was an Officer! 1997
- Base Housing #1. Minimal changes were allowed so decorating was all cosmetic. 1998
- Base housing #2 when we found out we were pregnant with baby #2 before baby #1 turned 1! 1999
- Purchased home #1 in Georgia after Ray left the Air Force. Painted every single wall, built kitchen island, installed wood floors and tile, built a utility building outside, and more. 2001
- Purchased home #2 in same neighborhood with a basement and much bigger yard with a creek. This house had never been updated so we made it beautiful through many DIY hours. 2005
- Purchased home #3, our current home and longest address time to date! It was move in ready and back home in South Carolina, YAY! Of course, I’ve painted and recently we, as in I handed Ray tools when he needed, built an additional bathroom in some attic space for a teen suite upstairs. Now it’s time for the painting and pretty stuff so I have plenty to do! 2007 **See the House Tour here.
Last BUT not least, I love Jesus! I love that my family loves Jesus! I love that I am an owner of a church that teaches Bible truth and lives it out! With out HIS blessings none of what you just read would have been possible! (Lots of exclamation marks but I see no other way to describe my love for my savior!)